Saturday, February 23, 2013

100th Day of School Activities

The 100th day of school and I have a love/hate relationship.  I know the students love it and I enjoy doing a lot of the fun 100th day themed activities.  However, it always comes at a time when the kids have long since past the glow of Winter Break and are looking towards Spring Break.  Expectations get higher, lessons get tougher and tempers get shorter.  This year's 100th day was action packed.  So much so it spilled over to the 101st day of school.
I can't figure out why this picture is rotated.   I saw this 100 painted dots activity on Pinterest via this blog.  I created a simple sheet and added a challenge (circle groups of 5). 

Of course, the kids *LOVE* art, especially anything involving paint.  This was a center at the small group table.  I put out paper plates and mixed the paint in front of the kids.  I was surprised how many of them didn't know which colors can be mixed to make new colors.  Instead of using cotton swabs I had them use pencil erasers to make 10 dots of each color.  It worked out really well and cleaned up quickly. Bonus...the washable paint came right off the erasers, which are still usable!

We also made "We would/wouldn't like to have 100..." charts.  This idea was totally stolen from Doodle Bugs Teaching.  Her charts are way cuter than ours, but this is an activity I will do again in the future.

 One of my favorite 100th day activities was "Roll to 100" which, again I jacked from Pinterest via this other blog.  I reconfigured the recording sheet a little. 

We also read One Hundred Hungry Ants by Elinor J. Pinczez.  I cut 100 black squares from construction paper, spread them on the floor and had groups of students rearrange the "ants" as we read the story.  I didn't get pictures, but that's another activity I will carry over to next year.

1 comment:

  1. London offers so many exciting things to do in London with kids, making it a fantastic destination for family days out. From fascinating museums and beautiful parks to interactive attractions and fun outdoor activities, children can enjoy something new at every turn. I especially like how London combines entertainment with learning, giving families memorable experiences together. This is a really helpful guide for parents looking to plan an enjoyable and activity-filled day with their children.

    ReplyDelete