Friday, April 12, 2013

Five for Friday ~ April 12

What a great week!  I'm linking up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for her weekly Five for Friday Linky Party.


1.  This was our first week using Math Tubs similar to the amazing Cara Carroll's.  I am loving this!  The students are having fun practicing their skills, working together (score!) and I can float so much more effectively!  We're working with place value using tens and ones.  I used activities from Erica Bohrer's 0-120 Charts and Activities and Sweet Treats Place Value (Freebie) from Rebecca Sutton (Anderton).  Students also got use the website www.reflexmath.com.

 2. A harpist and a violinist from our local symphony came to our school earlier in the week.  The kids really liked this performance.

 3. During Work on Words in Daily Five this week the students used activities from my Working with Vowel Team OW pack.  My favorite activity is the phoneme boxes.  After working with ow from 4 days, one of my darlings (finally) noticed "all the words have ow!"  Progress!

4. This week's basal story was an Eyewitness informational story about butterflies.  We also read/watched the audiobook of  A Butterfly is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston, watched a National Geographic video clip of butterflies, made a "Can-Have-Are" tree map, colored butterflies, made a life cycle poster and a circle map of butterfly information.  The pink writing is what we already knew and the orange is some things we learned.  It was a fun week in reading and writing.

5.  Gorgeous lady bug also enjoying my Friday beverage.  Yea, Spring!

1 comment:

  1. We were working on the ow chunk this week as well!! I posted about our ow work as well. I hear ya...I get so excited when they realize that each spelling word has the same pattern (even though I told them that) :)
    Have a good weekend.
    Em

    Curious Firsties


    ReplyDelete