Sunday, December 8, 2013

Five for Friday...almost


I am linking up with Kacey for some Five for Friday fun, but it is Sunday.  Is that close enough?

 In math we've been practicing counting by tens starting at any number and comparing numbers.  I made a print, cut and go product with number cards.  It is available on my TpT shop.  I also use many of the activities from Erica Bohrer's 0-120 charts and activities unit.  It was one of the first products I purchased on TpT.  It is great!

 We've been working on using adjectives in our writing.  Honestly, I wasn't going well so I reversed course and tried something new.  We made a chart of pizza adjectives one day.  We used all our senses and listed appropriate adjectives.

The next day I gave the students a fill in the blank story about eating pizza.  They had to use the adjectives to fill in the blanks to finish the story.

Finally, we got crazy with the scrap box and made slices a pizza to add to our stories.  It turned out very cute and even the struggling writers were able to correctly use adjectives in the story.

Next week we will transfer this skill to adding adjectives while we are writing individual stories.

Later today I am going to work on making this a freebie on my TpT store.

 Friday St. Nick visited our school.  He and his elves sprinkled gold tinsel all over the hallways.  They also left bags of goodies for each student to explore when they arrived in the classroom.  Mass hysteria? Check.  Happy kids? Check.  Get work done in the morning?  Not so much.

The kids were beyond excited all day!  Their smiles were actually bigger than the smiles on Krista Wallden's elves.
 Backing up a little now.  We did the disguise a turkey activity before Thanksgiving break.  I love, love, love the creativity the students showed when dressing the turkeys.  We had 3 Franken-turkeys, 2 singing turkey divas, 2 cheerleader turkeys, several super hero turkeys including SuperTurkey, SpiderTurkey, Hulk-Turkey, and Bat-Turkey and of course, Turkey Claus.  Their how-to stories were hilarious.  I used the free Thanksgiving How-To Writing pack by Lisa Richling.

 Have you ever played the Find Objects app?  It is very addictive and very fun.  It has one player and vs modes.  My boyfriend and I play vs mode on the tablet.  He's really competitive, but I am good. Ha!

Finally, I am so proud of my man!  His concrete condiment cup holders were featured in Food52.com's latest collection Fresh Caught: Oysters.  They took beautiful photographs that really show the quality of his concrete.  Also, check out his Etsy shop.  Any of these products would make for great gifts!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to meet you!! Love your adjective and counting by tens lessons. I will definitely be remembering them in the coming days!!

    ReplyDelete